As of 03-21-2017, Google released Android O Developer Preview 1. This new Alpha version of Android will be available for download to Developers in the Preview channel of developer.android.com
What’s New In Android
- Notification Channels
- Picture-In-Picture: Android O allows activities to launch in picture-in-picture (PIP) mode. PIP is a special type of multi-window mode mostly used for video playback. PIP mode is already available for Android TV; Android O makes the feature available on other Android devices
- Auto-fill: Android O makes filling forms, such as account and credit card forms, easier with the introduction of the Autofill Framework, which will take care of managing the communication between the app and an auto-fill service.
- Adaptive Icons: Launcher icons will be able to display a variety of shapes across different device models to better match OEM theme.
- LG Nexus 5x
- Huawei Nexus 6P
- Nexus Player
- Pixel C
- Google Pixel
- Google Pixel XL
Timeline and Updates
- Preview 1 (initial release, alpha): 03/21/2017
- Preview 2 (incremental update, beta): May – June 2017
- Preview 3 (final APIs and official SDK, Play publishing): June – July 2017
- Preview 4 (near-final system images for final testing): July – August 2017
- Final Release (A.O.S.P): Third Quarter (Q.3) 2017
This initial release of O Developer Preview is available by manual download only.
As future versions of the Preview are released, you will be able to opt in via: https://android.com/beta
More coverage to come as soon as I get to test out this new release.